Backpacking is an amazing experience that is made even better when shared with your favourite people. But make sure, before you go away, you have thought about your Travel companion carefully, and make sure they are not going to drive you completely insane!
Here are some key Friend points to think about before you take the leap of faith! *Thumbs up Friend*
The Girl/Boy Friend
- Ensure you can fully trust this person to be there for you and not run off with another Traveller leaving you crying on a beach on your own.
- Make sure that you won’t spend the entire time away arguing. That will not be a fun time.
- Understand that you will be testing each other’s limits. Travelling can be an emotional rollercoaster. Just make sure that you know how to handle your partners moods and know how to support them.
- Share interests. Talk about places you want to go, what you wish to see and get out of your Travel experience. You want to make sure that you are both happy about the itinerary and plans.
- Be sure that you can live together. You only really know someone when you are picking their dirty pants up off the floor.
- Learn how to compromise. Both of you need to put ideas forward, make sure one of you isn’t too bossy and demanding. (I need to work on this one)
- Have fun! Make sure that you guys know how to have a good time! Share laughs and ‘make memories’ *CHEESE*
The Best Friend
- Don’t be jel. Jealous is pretty common among friends (even if no one admits it). You need to share the experience. Not compete against each other for attention.
- Make sure that you guys know each other’s annoying habits, and can ignore them as much as possible.
- Ensure that if your mate finds a love interest they won’t completely ditch you! Don’t have an argument and storm off, leaving each other on alone in a foreign country!
- Again, compromise. You both want to have a fabulous time, yet you make have slightly different interests. Give everything a go, don’t ever dismiss a new idea or experience.
- Trust one another. Talk about your feelings and be there for each other. That’s what friends are for after all.
- Enjoy your pal’s company and make the most out of travelling with them.
The Group of Friends
- Make sure you all get along. The last thing you would want is a fight, and then you would have to ‘choose your side’
- The benefit with a larger group is if you want to separate in to smaller groups and do different things, you can.
- Spend time with everyone in the group, but make sure you have one or two people you can have a decent chat with if things get too much.
- Make sure that you have a mix of people- the crazy spontaneous ones, but also the sensible ones too! Don’t get too rowdy and uncontrollable!
Good luck with choosing your perfect Travel Friend!
HAVE A TOTALLY AMAZE TIME! x