As we approach A/W it is time to think about overhauling your accessories and stepping into the new season in style. If you’re trying watch the pennies whilst also keeping up with the trends, it can be hard to afford the latest styles to hit the high street. With a few clever hacks you can ensure that your look is transformed without breaking the bank. From DIY projects that you can make using items you already have, to the best bargains to look out for in the biggest online fashion stores, here are the 10 tricks you need to know to go from drab to fab this season.
1. Layered necklaces are still the go to accessory for any fashionista looking to stay in style. Not only do these instantly give an outfit an edgy look, you can team pieces from past seasons together in order to create a truly bespoke look. At the moment, many of the big fashion retailers are offering great sales on their summer pieces, however when paired with chunkier chains and small pieces in this season’s colours, you can make them work for you. keep an eye out for sites such as My Voucher Codes offering the latest discounts for sites such as ASOS, it’s the best way to ensure you get a bargain.
2. Ribbon chokers are the easy way to jump on the current 90’s jewellery trend. Head to your local haberdashery and pick up some strips of ribbon in autumnal colours to make the most of this trend for less.
3. Vintage is still a trend you should be rocking and nothing gives an outfit a retro look like a vintage brooch. Trawl the charity shops or head to eBay to see if you can pick up a dainty cameo or perhaps some bold 80’s costume jewellery for the price of your daily takeaway coffee!
4. Scarves are one of the best multipurpose accessories that you can own. If you indulged in some summer sarongs for your holiday, why not inject the same colours into your A/W look by reworking them into an on trend oversize scarf?
5. Remember all of those flower hair crowns that you purchased for this year’s festivals? Instead of leaving them languishing in a drawer until next year, why not rework them into hair slides, brooches or even embellishments for your shoes? (see below for inspiration!) Many of these crowns utilise deeper shades of red, purple and blue that will work well in the upcoming season.
6. Hats are set to be a major trend for A/W and we are seeing many high street collections that feature oversized fedoras and trilby’s that will look great with your winter wardrobe. If you don’t want to fork out for a designer version, simply find a plain black version and accessories using what you already have? Feathers and ribbons are easy to find in craft shops and you can easily update your look for just a couple of pounds.
7. If you are feeling creative, why not use your old summer necklaces as the basis of a brand new A/W statement piece? Heading back to the haberdashery, pick up some black ribbon that you can thread between chain necklaces or create some beaded strands to go with them.
8. We mentioned embellishing your shoes and we think this is going to be a major trend for the new season. Using old vintage brooches, hair slides or even gluing crystals in the latest shades, it is easy to transform a boring pair of ballet pumps into your new statement going out shoes for the upcoming months.
9. Feathers are set to be everywhere this A/W and we are already stocking up on a variety of colours from our local craft store. It is easy to track down simple earring hooks that can be used to hold feathers in a range of sizes. To embrace the boho trend, wear one statement earring with a selection of complimenting feathers.
10. Fed up of your dull clutch bags? It is time to get out the glue gun and create something that you will want to show off. Pick up some jewel tone crystals or studs online or from craft stores, then simply envisage your design and start creating. Be warned, if you do a good job you WILL be asked to create more versions for your friends and family.