Blades Blunted by Burton : Capital One Saturday Review

The Capital One cup kicked off this Saturday with 8 of the 13 featured games going into extra time, with 5 of them games going to the dreaded penalty shoot-out. The big shock of the day was Burton Albion of league two defeating league one side Sheffield United on penalties. With championship sides, Wolves and Hull needed penalties and Watford needing extra time to defeat their league two opponents.

The Capital One Cup

Burton Albion have made it into the second round of the league cup for the first time in their history with a penalty shoot-out win over Sheffield United. Sheffield United who are a league above Burton Albion, lost their second consecutive penalty shoot-out after suffering the same fate in their playoff final last year. Adi Yussuf fired Burton into the lead just after the half hour mark. Five minutes after the restart, Nick Blackman scored a header to level for Sheffield United. The game ended 1-1 and went into extra time. Cleveland Taylor put Burton back into the lead before it was cancelled out by a Neill Collins goal after he missed his penalty. The penalty was awarded for a foul against Nathan Stanton on Callum McFadzean. Marcus Holness was send off for a second bookable offence, but Burton held out in the second half of extra time for penalties. Both sides missed a penalty each, but when Michael Doyle’s penalty was saved by Burton keeper Ross Atkins, Cleveland Taylor scored his to create a new Burton record and create the shock of the day in the cup.

New Wolves boss Stale Solbakken was given a scare as he saw his side sneak through on penalties against Aldershot. A Wolves side without Ryan Jarvis and Steven Fletcher took the lead 8 minutes into the second half with a Sylvan Ebanks-Blake goal. However, nine minutes later, Aldershot’s Michael Rankine scored from a corner to ensure the game would go to extra time. In extra time Wolves’ Anthony Forde hit the post. After the first 13 penalties had been scored Shots’ Jordan Roberts’s penalty was saved by Wolves keeper Carl Ikeme.

Steve Bruce’s first game in charge of Hull ended in a penalty shoot-out win at home to Rotherham. Lionel Ainsworth’s first half volley put the Millers in front, before Aaron Mclean rescued the tie for the Tigers. Rotherham’s Mark Bradley saw his spot kick come back off the crossbar meaning Hull won 7-6 on penalties. Gianfranco Zola’s new side Watford needed extra time to beat league two side Wycombe Wanderers. Substitute Chris Iwelumo scored from close range in the 109th minute to beat Wycombe 1-0. Joe Garner had gone close for the home side in normal time while Richard Logan pulled his shot wide for the visitors.

Middlesbrough defeated recently relegated Bury at Gigg Lane 2-1. A quick Grant Leadbitter  freekick led to Marvin Emnes tucking the ball away. Debutant Emmanuel Ledesma then doubled Boro’s lead in the 61st minute. Two minutes later and Bury were back in the game with a Mark Hughes header from a corner. Deep into injury time Bury’s Efe Sodje was sent off for a foul on Luke Williams. However the championship side held on to knock Bury out of the cup.

Doncaster Rovers needed penalties in order to beat newly promoted York City at the Keepmoat stadium. Michael Coulson’s strike from just outside of the penalty area gave York the lead in the 64th minute. However, nine minutes later Lee Bullock was adjudged to have fouled Rovers’ David Cotterill. Chris Brown stepped up and put the ball passed York keeper Michael Ingham. With no goals scored in extra time the game finished 1-1 with Matty Blair and Michael Coulson missing their penalties for York and Doncaster winning 4-2 in the shootout.

Rochdale and Barnsley both shared seven goals at Spotland, as Barnsley needed extra time to beat Rochdale 4-3. Andrew Tutte’s 20 yard strike put Rochdale in the lead, but on the stroke of half time young debutant, defender John Stones equalised for the Tykes. Craig Davies put Barnsley in front, with the clock hitting 90 Ben Alwick brought down Ian Craney in the box and was sent off. This meant that Bobby Hassell (A Barnsley defender) had to go in goal for the final minutes because of Barnsley already making their three substitutes. Jason Kennedy stepped up and scored the penalty for Rochdale to take the game into extra time. Ex-Rochdale striker Craig Dagnall put Barnsley in the lead, with him then doubling his tally to make it 4-2. Rochdale was awarded another penalty after the referee decided a Barnsley player handled in the box. Kennady scored his second penalty of the day to make it 4-3; however, with great saves from stand in keeper Hassell, Barnsley put themselves into the second round.

Leeds United came through their cup game against recently promoted to league one Shrewsbury with a 4-0 win at Elland Road. Lucciano Becchio and Luke Varney scored in the first half, with debutant David Norris scoring and a Ross McCormack penalty completing the scoring for the championship side.MK Dons needed penalties to beat Cheltenham. Dean Bowditch scored in first half injury time but was cancelled out by a Kaid Mohamed strike in the second half. Stephan Gleeson saw red for a bad challenge on Sam Deering. Cheltenham’s Darryl Duffy was the only player to have his penalty saved in the shoot-out.

Walsall also booked their ticket to the second round of the cup with a 1-0 home win against Brentford in an all league one affair. Ashley Hemmings’ 8th minute drilled shot was enough for the saddlers to see of Brentford who had Jake Reeves sent off in the 25th minute for a late tackle. Carlisle defeated Accrington Stanley in front of nearly 3000 people at Brunton Park. A Matty Robson striker inside the box was enough to beat Accrington after Aidan Chippendale had been denied twice by Carlisle keeper Adam Collin.

Crewe beat their fellow league one opponents Hartlepool comfortably 5-0. Two goals from new signing Mathias Pogba and Max Clayton and a goal from AJ Leitch-Smith ensured Crewe made it into the hat for the second round. The victory also made it a club record 18th game competitive unbeaten streak. League two side Bradford City beat league one side Notts County courtesy of a terrific James Hanson striker during the first half of extra time. However, Notts County will feel they could have won it in normal time after new signing Yohann Arquin missed from one yard out.

Click to comment
To Top